Stuck In A Rut | Job/career

By laura mitchell - June 09, 2018

Work. 

We all have to do it. If we want to live that is. 

Most of us find something that we're good at and make money doing it. Some of us even try to find something we enjoy as well as being good at it; it still feels like work and we still live for a Friday afternoon where we can leave the office/wherever it is we're working, and have 2 days of not thinking about it. However, we still get an element of fulfillment from what we're doing.

Then there are the lucky people. The people who do a job that doesn't feel like work. They get paid to do something they love, and sure they probably have days where they can't be arsed, but when you're doing the thing you feel like you were born to do you never work a day in your life. 

I envy those people. I do an important job, if you've read my first post you will know I am a support worker. I support victims of domestic abuse, and its's rewarding and there are times when I enjoy what I do. I've been in this field of work since leaving university and for a while, I got fulfillment from it. But lately, I've been thinking "there's got to be more to life than this?". Sometimes I feel like all I do is get up early, go to work, countdown the hours until I can come home, where I tidy up, cook dinner, have a couple of hours to watch TV/youtube and then I'm going to bed and waking up the next day to do it all over again. Better know as The Rat Race. 

Now I know most people would say "that's the same for everybody" or " that's just life, deal with it", and if those people are happy living their lives in this way, then more power to them. I personally want more out of life.

My job is stressful 80% of the time, the other 20% is made up of occasionally seeing the rewards for the work I do and being able to sometimes take it easy. What I do is draining, and emotional and a fucking hard job to do when you're own personal life is taking a nose dive. I'm not sure it's a job I can do for the rest of my working life.

Bringing me to the point of this post. 

I Am Stuck In A Rut.

This is one of the reasons why I started this blog. I needed an outlet, something creative that doesn't zap me of my emotions but restores them and helps me pull my head from the parapet. 

I love writing, have done since I was young. I  would write journals with a friend, I wrote      fanfictions about my favorite boy bands, I wrote an actual fictional novel during university when I was sick of writing other peoples words, and I'm writing now. I haven't done it consistently over the years but it is something I've always come back to.

I'm jealous of people who get to do this for a living. Whether that be writing blogs, or books or articles. Journalists, authors, academics, and bloggers. Just some of the people who write about what they know for a living. Now that is #goals.

So here I am. Doing something I love to do. I'm not getting paid for this, that isn't why I'm doing it. I'm doing it for me, an escape from the mundane, an outlet for my creativity and... because I can.

Question time: If you could do any job in the world, what would it be and why?

Until next time folks...

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments